U.S. Senate Investigation | For-Profit Colleges
VETERANS EDUCATION SUCCESS was born out of a two-year investigation by the U.S. Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions that found rampant deception by for-profit colleges about every aspect of the education those schools offer – the true tuition, the quality, the teachers, the classrooms, the lessons, the accreditation, the eligibility for licensing or jobs, the ability to transfer credits to nearby public colleges, the graduation rate, the job placement rate, likely job prospects and future salaries, and career assistance. For-profit schools were even signing students up for high-interest private loans without their knowledge, or failing to disclose the true terms of loans.
2012 Report | Committee on Health, Education, Labor & Pensions
- Short Summary of Senate Report
- Full Summary of Senate Report
- Senate Charts on GI Bill, DOD Tuition Assistance, and overall data
- Recruiting Training Manuals Used by Top For-Profit Colleges: “Dig for the pain” and “pain is the greatest motivator”
- Short Profiles of For-Profit Schools
- 2014 Update: Is the New GI Bill Working?
- Benefiting Whom? For-Profit Education Companies and the Growth of Military Educational Benefits.
U.S. Senate Hearings
- July 23, 2013 The 90/10 Rule: Improving Educational Outcomes for Our Military and Veterans
- June 12, 2013 Deceptive Recruiting of Service members
- September 22, 2011 Improving Educational Outcomes for Our Military
- July 21, 2011 Improving For-Profit Higher Education: A Roundtable Discussion of Policy Solutions
- June 7, 2011 Drowning in Debt: Financial Outcomes of Students at For-Profit Colleges
- March 10, 2011 Bridgepoint Education, Inc.: A Case study in For-Profit Education and Oversight
- September 30, 2010 The Federal Investment in For-Profit Education: Are Students Succeeding?
- August 4, 2010 For-Profit Schools: The Student Recruitment Experience
- June 24, 2010 Emerging Risk? An Overview of the Federal Investment in For-Profit Education