All our help is free. The more details you provide, the easier it will be for us to figure out how best to help you.  By submitting this form, you agree that your contact information may be shared with federal and state government agencies willing to act for free on your behalf to help recoup your losses. We are Veterans helping Veterans. You can also email: Help@VetsEdSuccess.Org. Please know that our free help to you does not constitute the formation of an attorney-client relationship. Our lawyers may not be licensed in your home state and some of our best advisors on staff aren’t lawyers at all.

    Learn about your rights, options, and ways to fight back

    When your school closes or is disapproved for GI Bill, you face a decision:

    • Should you transfer your credits to a new school?  You might find out that not all your credits will transfer. That’s a tough reality about closed and disapproved schools.
    • If you don’t transfer credits, you have “closed school” and “disapproved school” rights, including that you can get some of your GI Bill back, all of your Pell Grants back, and get your student loans erased.
    • Do you need the housing allowance so you need to find a new school fast?  If you want your “closed school” rights, you could start at the new school without transferring credits.
    • Should you start over at your local public college, where you can likely go for free?

    You face hard decisions.  Our free lawyers and college advice counselors are available to explain your rights and options. Email: Help@VetsEdSuccess.Org or fill out the contact form above.

    Below is information on your options as well as on emergency financial help if you need it.

    Learn What Andi Did After His School Closed

    What should you do if you’re attending a school that suddenly closes? Andi, U.S. Marine Corps veteran, shares his experience attending Argosy University and critical advice to current and future military-connected students in higher education.


    A new federal law enacted in 2017—which we proposed and fought for— gives students some of their GI Bill back if their school closed.  Even better, Congress is poised to enact new legislation that will give all students all of their VA benefits back.

    You can get 100% of your GI Bill benefits restored if:

    • your school closed between January 1, 2015 and August 16, 2017;
    • you were enrolled when the school closed or within 120 days of the school’s closure; AND
    • you did not transfer to a new school, or, if you did transfer, you didn’t transfer to a “comparable” program.

    You can get one semester/term of your GI Bill benefits restored if:

    • Your school closed after Aug. 16, 2017;
    • VA finds that you were unable to complete the program of study due to the school closing (or if VA disapproved the school but it didn’t close); AND
    • You did not receive credit or lost training time toward the completion of the program of education.

    Our free lawyers can help you figure out if you qualify, and help you with the


    Get your student loans forgiven/discharged:

    The US Education Department will forgive federal student loans after a school closes if:

    • You were enrolled when your school closed, or within 120 days before it closed, or you were on an approved leave of absence when your school closed; AND
    • You didn’t transfer credits to a comparable program.

    Apply here:

    Our free lawyers can help you figure out if you qualify and fill out the paperwork: help@veteranseducationsuccess.orgAdditional help and advice is available at NextStepsEd.Org, a nonprofit effort in conjunction with the US Education Department.

    Get Your Loan Payments Lowered:

    Even if you don’t qualify for a closed school discharge, there are several federal programs to lower your monthly payments. Free help is available at


    You Can Also Get Your Pell Grants Reinstated

    No matter how long ago you attended a closed school, your eligibility for Pell Grants should be reinstated under a rule U.S. Education Department announced in 2016. You can call U.S. Ed Dept (days, nights, wknds) at 1-800-4FED-AID for assistance with this.


    Anyone impacted by a school closure should carefully choose a new school. Learn more HERE. Learn more about the impact of school closures to your education and other organizations that offer direct support for students HERE.


    You Can Get Some Money Back in Some States

    21 states have money available to reimburse students in certain situations. You can find more information about State Tuition Recovery Funds HERE.


    Financial Grants

    • Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) Emergency Grant Program provides funding on a case-by-case basis.
    • Wells Fargo’s Veterans Emergency Grant Program (here)
    • Wounded Warrior Project’s Emergency Financial Assistance (here)
    • PENFED Foundation’s Military Heroes Fund (here)
    • IAVA’s Rapid Response Referral Program (here)


    If the loss of GI Bill benefits payments has left you in a situation where you may be facing homelessness, the National Coalition for Homeless Veterans is standing by to help. Connect with resources by clicking here, calling 1-800-VET-HELP, or sending an email to

    VA’s Office of Homeless Veterans is also a resource if you are at-risk of homelessness. They offer counseling support with access to housing solutions, healthcare, and community services. Visit here to learn more and call 1-877-4AIDVET (available 24/7) to speak with a representative.