VETERANS EDUCATION SUCCESS was born out of a two-year investigation by the U.S. Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions that found rampant deception by for-profit colleges about every aspect of the education those schools offer – the true tuition, the quality, the teachers, the classrooms, the lessons, the accreditation, the eligibility for licensing or jobs, the ability to transfer credits to nearby public colleges, the graduation rate, the job placement rate, likely job prospects and future salaries, and career assistance. For-profit schools were even signing students up for high-interest private loans without their knowledge, or failing to disclose the true terms of loans.
FINAL COMMITTEE REPORT
The Committee on Health, Education. Labor & Pensions published their final reports following the 2-year investigation.
- Short Summary of Senate Report
- Full Summary of Senate Report
- Senate Charts on GI Bill, DOD Tuition Assistance, and overall data
- Recruiting Training Manuals Used by Top For-Profit Colleges: “Dig for the pain” and “pain is the greatest motivator”
- 2014 Update: Is the New GI Bill Working?
- Benefiting Whom? For-Profit Education Companies and the Growth of Military Educational Benefits.
During the investigation, the Committee held a number of hearings as part of their investigation.
- July 23, 2013 The 90/10 Rule: Improving Educational Outcomes for Our Military and Veterans
- June 12, 2013 Deceptive Recruiting of Service members
- September 22, 2011 Improving Educational Outcomes for Our Military
- July 21, 2011 Improving For-Profit Higher Education: A Roundtable Discussion of Policy Solutions
- June 7, 2011 Drowning in Debt: Financial Outcomes of Students at For-Profit Colleges
- March 10, 2011 Bridgepoint Education, Inc.: A Case study in For-Profit Education and Oversight
- September 30, 2010 The Federal Investment in For-Profit Education: Are Students Succeeding?
- August 4, 2010 For-Profit Schools: The Student Recruitment Experience
- June 24, 2010 Emerging Risk? An Overview of the Federal Investment in For-Profit Education
SENATE FINDINGS ON FOR-PROFIT COLLEGES
The Committee published in-depth findings on the largest for-profit colleges.
- Alta Colleges Summary Report
- American Military University; American Public University (APEI) Summary Report
- Apollo Group Summary Report 2021 Update
- Anthem Education Summary Report
- American Career College Summary Report
- Anthem Summary Report
- Argosy Summary Report
- Art Institute Summary Report
- Ashford University/Bridgepoint Summary Report 2021 Update
- Brown Mackie Summary Report
- Capella Summary Report
- Career Education Corporation Summary Report 2021 Update
- Chancellor Summary Report
- Colorado Technical University Summary Report 2021 Update
- Concorde Summary Report
- Corinthian Summary Report
- DeVry Summary Report 2021 Update
- Drake Summary Report
- ECPI Summary Report
- Education America Summary Report
- EDMC Summary Report
- Grand Canyon Summary Report 2021 Update
- Henley Putnam Summary Report
- Herzing Summary Report
- ITT Summary Report
- Kaplan Summary Report 2021 Update
- Keiser Summary Report
- Lincoln Summary Report
- NAU – National American University Summary Report
- Rasmussen Summary Report
- Sanford Brown Summary Report
- South University Summary Report
- Strayer Summary Report
- TUI – Trident Summary Report 2021 Update
- UTI – Universal Technical Institute Summary Report
- University of Phoenix Summary Report 2021 Update
- Vatterott Summary Report
- Walden Summary Report
- Western State U College of Law Summary Report
- Westwood College Summary Report
U.S. GOVERNMENT ACCOUNTABILITY OFFICE
The Senate asked the U.S. Government Accountability Office to conduct two undercover investigations into for-profit colleges.
Policy issues of Veterans Education Success
Veterans Education Success works to improve post-secondary quality and student outcomes to ensure military-connected students enjoy a solid education leading to a successful civilian career. You will find research reports and coalition letters related to college quality and student outcomes.
Veterans Education Success seeks to ensure students have adequate protections and rights and also believes bad actor colleges should be held accountable if they’ve trampled on students’ rights. You will find research reports and coalition letters related to student protections and college accountability.
Vterans Education Success works to protect the GI Bill and other federal education benefits.